By Leanne Thomas/U.S. Army South/Edited by Diálogo Staff November 13, 2020 U.S. and Brazil army-to-army staff talks, a weeklong series of meetings held to strengthen professional partnerships and increase interaction between armies, was inaugurated at the Army South headquarters on October 20.The U.S. Army Staff Talks Program serves as a bilateral engagement for military discussion between respective armies. This year marks the 36th time the U.S. Army and the Brazilian Army have met for staff talks, which have been instrumental in enhancing the interoperability and cooperation between the two partners.“On behalf of the chief of Staff of the [U.S.] Army, General James McConville, I am deeply honored and proud to have this opportunity to continue strengthening our enduring army-to-army partnership,” said Major General Daniel R. Walrath, commanding general, U.S. Army South. “These talks continue to develop our army-to-army partnership and, as of last year , with our newest major non-NATO ally.”These staff talks serve as the U.S. Army’s premier annual engagement for U.S. Army South, Brazilian planners, and key leaders to discuss and prepare bilateral security cooperation agreed-to-actions for approval by both armies.“As we adapt to the COVID environment, our armies continue to demonstrate flexibility, agility, and adaptability to address these new challenges while maintaining our strategic relationship,” said Maj. Gen. Walrath. “These staff talks embody the deep partnership between our armies, which was forged during the difficult Italian Campaign of World War II.”“We will continue the security cooperation momentum our armies began during World War II that has been nurtured over the past 35 years through these bilateral staff talks, which strengthen our partnership, enhance regional security, and improve the readiness and interoperability of our two armies,” said Maj. Gen. Walrath.
Improper waste management and an ineffective recycling industry have been blamed for allowing such waste to escape into the sea.Read also: Ineffective recycling compounds Indonesia’s marine waste problemThe action plan was expected to solve such problems, with its five key steps focusing on improving the country’s waste management, reducing or substituting plastic usage to prevent the consumption of 1 million tons annually, redesigning plastic products and packaging for reuse and recycling, doubling plastic waste collection rates, as well as expanding waste disposal facilities.If the plan is implemented well, Indonesia NPAP projected it could reduce the amount of plastic going into the country’s oceans by 70 percent by 2025 and reach near-zero by 2040, as up to 16 million tons of plastics would be prevented from leaking into the sea until 2040.The ministry revealed that investments totaling US$5.1 trillion would be needed until 2025 to realize the action plan. About $4 billion will be earmarked for the development of state-managed waste collection and disposal facilities, while the rest will be allocated for private-owned recycling businesses.The ministry’s environment and forestry management acting undersecretary, Nani Hendiarti, said the partnership had also formed a task force to study which kind of investments were necessary to realize the action plan. It is also calculating how much money would be needed to carry out all the measures stipulated in the action plan.The result will be included in a road map slated to be released in June.“Later, we will know what quick wins and investments that the county will need,” Nani said.She added that the investments for marine debris reduction could come from various sources, such as the state budget, the Global Plastic Action Partnership and its members as well as the Asian Development Bank (ADB).Read also: The waste challenge: Is Indonesia at a tipping point?The action plan was the latest guideline issued by the government in its effort to curb marine debris. In 2018, the government issued a presidential regulation that stipulated guidelines for ministries and state institutions to reduce marine plastic waste, which also focuses on land-based and ocean waste management, among other strategies.While lauding the action plan, Sri Bebassari of the Indonesian Solid Waste Association urged the government to prioritize one of the five key points first, as the country’s development on waste management was “too far behind”.The step in prioritizing a key point was necessary to push an immediate shift to the circular economy paradigm, she went on to say.“The main priority should be to fix the waste management system on land, so no waste will slip away into the sea,” Sri said, emphasizing that the system should be able to sort waste so it would not get mixed together. She added that the central government and regional administrations should also set aside more of their budget for waste management, so it would be seen as a necessity than economic gains for recycling companies.Read also: Regions lag behind in waste management planningSuch concern over budgets was highlighted by Statistics Indonesia (BPS) in its 2018 environmental report, which pointed out that not a single province allocated more than 3 percent of its 2017 regional budget for the environment, including waste management.“Income [from processing waste] should be an additional benefit, not the main focus of the business.”Environmental group Greenpeace cast more doubt on the action plan, arguing that many companies were still promoting the “throwaway culture” that relies heavily on the usage of single-use plastic products, even though many had tried to promote circular economy approaches.Greenpeace Indonesia campaigner Muhammad Atha Rosyadi added that he doubted the action plan would have much of an effect on the country’s production of marine plastic waste because five years would not be enough to work on the solutions.Topics : The stakeholders were joined in the Indonesia National Plastic Action Partnership (Indonesia NPAP), a part of a global partnership aiming to fast-track the circular economy. Indonesia is the first country to introduce its national-level partnership.“Indonesia is committed to implementing programs on sustainable development and plastic waste reduction, which has become one of our national priorities,” Luhut said during the launch event late last month.President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo pledged to reduce marine plastic waste by 70 percent by 2025 following a study by researcher Jenna Jambeck in 2015 that declared the country as the world’s second-worst marine plastic polluter for dumping about 1.29 million tons of plastic waste into the ocean in 2010.While the government has been working to fix the problem, efforts still have a long way to go. A 2017 survey by the Indonesia NPAP showed that the country still dumped 680,000 tons of plastic waste to the sea annually, 10 percent of the total plastic waste produced in the archipelago. As an effort to eradicate marine waste once and for all, the government has rolled out its latest action plan for authorities, businesses and communities to prevent plastic waste from ending up in the ocean by 2025.Critics, however, doubt the latest plan will contribute to the country’s efforts in reducing marine debris due to poor waste management and reluctance from most companies to avoid single-use plastic products, which have been polluting the sea.The joint action plan, unveiled by Maritime Affairs and Investment Coordinating Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan on April 22, will become a guideline for all stakeholders to prevent plastic pollution from leaking into rivers, lakes and seas.
Indianapolis, In. — In June, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) began mailing new, more secure cards to Medicare beneficiaries in Indiana. Beneficiaries do not need to do anything to get new cards, and they are being mailed at no cost to the recipient. If you receive Medicare, your benefits will not change with your new card.The new cards are much more secure to use. The old cards displayed the beneficiary’s Social Security number (SSN). Identity thieves frequently use SSNs to steal identities, open credit cards or take out loans in someone else’s name. While the new cards do not have SSNs, scammers may use this transition period to try to steal your personal information.The Indiana Department of Insurance provides the following information for Medicare beneficiaries:You do not need to pay for a new Medicare card. If anyone claiming to represent Medicare, the CMS or the government tries to charge you for your card, it is a scam. NEVER give your SSN, bank or credit card information, or send cash to anyone who says it is required to get your Medicare card.Do not give your Medicare number to people you do not know or have not contacted first. Some scammers call pretending to be from the CMS or Medicare. However, these organizations will NEVER require your personal information in exchange for your Medicare card. Only share your Medicare number with your doctors or Medicare personnel that you contacted directly. Do not let strangers help complete applications or forms that include personal information.Do not give financial information to people you do not know. If someone asks for bank or credit card information, promising to deposit a rebate or bonus into your account because of your new Medicare card, that is a scam.Do not believe anyone who tells you that your Medicare will be canceled unless you give them your Medicare number. If someone asks for your Medicare number and threatens to cancel your health benefits if you do not provide it, hang up! If you receive a suspicious call, contact 1-800-MEDICARE (1-800-633-4227; TTY: 1-877-486-2048).Destroy your old Medicare card. Once you receive your new Medicare card, destroy your old Medicare card by shredding or cutting it into pieces, and start using the new one right away.You can find more information about the new Medicare cards at Medicare.gov.More InformationThe Indiana Department of Insurance State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP), a free and impartial counseling program, answers questions about Medicare from Hoosiers. If you suspect Medicare fraud, contact Indiana’s Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) at 317-205-9201 or contact SHIP for assistance.If you have questions about Medicare or your new Medicare cards, call SHIP at 1-800-452-4800, 1-866-846-0139 TDD or online at www.medicare.in.gov.About Indiana Department of InsuranceThe Indiana Department of Insurance (IDOI) protects Indiana’s insurance consumers by monitoring and regulating the financial strengths and market conduct activities of insurance companies and agents. The IDOI monitors insurance companies and agents for compliance with state laws to protect consumers and to offer them the best array of insurance products available. The IDOI also assists Hoosiers with insurance questions and provides guidance in understanding how insurance policies work.
RelatedPosts Oyo: Only 7,000 out of 67,000 applicants for teaching job scored 50% in CBT Makinde: Alternative Project Funding Approach working for Oyo State Makinde installs new Alamodu of Ago-Amodu The Nigeria Table Tennis Federation has appointed the Chairman of Oyo State Table Tennis Association, Dr. Adesoji Adetayo, as the Technical Director of the federation.In a letter signed by the Secretary General of NTTF, Chimezie Asiegbu, the approval of the appointment was ratified after the board meeting, while it received the final nod from the NTTF President, Ishaku Tikon. According to the statement, Dr. Adetayo’s appointment is based on his immense contribution to the sport at state and national levels coupled with his vast knowledge of the game.“By this appointment, you are the technical head of the federation and you are to advise the board on technical matters concerning the federation. The appointment is with immediate effect which will last throughout the life span of the present board,” said Asiegbu.He added: “As the chairman of the Oyo State Table Tennis Association, Dr. Adetayo has brought vibrancy to the sport with several talents emerging from the state including Aruna Quadri and Usman Okanlawon who is African cadet champion. His knowledge of table tennis cannot be underestimated as he has been making input to national team.“His vast knowledge also came to fore when Nigeria defeated Egypt in the team event of the 2018 African Championship in Mauritius and he also emerged as champion in the veteran tournament.”As Technical Director, Dr. Adetayo is expected to help in the selection of players and coaches for major tournaments as well as oversee the national tournaments with the aim of unearth and grooming talents. In his response, Adetayo said he would justify the confidence reposed on him to contribute to the growth of the game with special attention to talent identification across the country with the aim to groom players that will match the records set by the likes of Segun Toriola and Aruna Quadri.Tags: Adesoji AdetayoChimezie AsiegbuIshaku TikonNTTFOyo State
SOCHI, Russia — The numbers are in for the thrilling USA-Russia men’s hockey game, and they’re huge.NBC Sports Network says 4.1 million people in the United States tuned into the Americans’ dramatic 3-2 victory, a record number for a hockey game on the channel.When the game when to a shootout, 6.4 million people tuned in to watch T.J. Oshie score four times to lead Team USA to the win. The ratings are even more impressive considering the game aired on a Saturday morning back home.T.J. who?Oshie was one of the more anonymous players on the American roster, a very good player for the NHL’s St. Louis Blues, but by no means a star.But he’s added more than 150,000 followers to his Twitter account — @OSH74 — and received a tweet of congratulations from President Obama since his big moment.There’s the rub for the NHL. Some team owners aren’t happy with shutting down their league for two weeks and let their star players risk injury playing in the Olympics.But for a league that has struggled to gain a foothold in the crowded American sports market place, the Olympics represent the biggest opportunity to showcase its talent to a mass audience.And it’s not just on Team USA. A casual fan that watched USA-Russia may have seen Pavel Datsyuk’s electric play and decide to tune in when he’s playing for the Detroit Red Wings after the games.The players have spoken. The fans have spoken. Now it will be interesting to see if the television numbers do anything to change the minds of some owners who are determined to end the relationship.TweetPinShare0 Shares
Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Allen James FacebookTwitter July 25, 2019 KUSI Newsroom, 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The final phase of this five step process involves releasing the felon back into the community. KUSI’s Ginger Jefferies has more on this special report looking into Alan James who was release less than fur months ago. KUSI Newsroom Experimental treatment allows S.V.P. Alan James to be released back into San Diego Posted: July 25, 2019