Ryan Giggs is the Best Replacement for Van Gaal Rio Ferdinand

Rabat – Rio Ferdinand, English former Manchester United’s center-back, is of the opinion that Ryan Giggs is the best option to replace Louis Van Gaal when the Dutch manager leaves the club at the end of his contract in 2017.As United’s manager, Van Gaal might, has reportedly decided not extend his contract at Old Trafford any further than the following season, the former Red Devils defender has suggested Ryan Giggs to be the perfect man for the job, reported UK’s Express.Ryan Giggs, 41, is the assistant manager at Manchester and he is tipped to be promoted to take Van Gaal’s place. “He grew into where he is now. Towards the end of my time there you could see it more. So it’s a natural progression,” commented Ferdinand to The Sun.Ferdinand, 36, has known the Welsh coach for a long time as they shared the pitch for 12 years as teammates at the British club.The English star had good words for his friend: “You can see that he [Giggs] loves the game and is a student of the game by taking all of his coaching badges”.“Ryan was in and around the coaching staff” when Scottish manager David Moyes coached the club, Ferdinand, who played with the Red Devils from 2002 to 2014, said according to the same source.It remains to be seen if Giggs will take the job and become United’s main man when Van Gaal leaves Old Trafford. read more

Mannar Bishop questioned by the CID

Bishop Rayappu Joseph of the diocese of Mannar has been questioned by the CID about a statement made by him over the issue of deportation of asylum seekers, by the Australian government, the Christian Solidarity Movement (CSM) said in a statement.This is not the first time that the Bishop has been interrogated by the CID. CSM says according to the information it received the Bishop has been questioned regarding connections with the Tamil Diaspora. “We as the Christian Solidarity Movement are proud to see him as a rare and extraordinary leader who is faithfully fulfilling his Christian mission by boldly speaking on behalf of the suffering Tamil people. Bishop Rayappu Joseph has always spoken about the current problems faced by his people and denounced some of the barbaric acts against the innocent,” the CSM statement said. “Linking any voice whether in the North or even in the South raised on Justice and Democracy and any attempt made to denounce the undemocratic rule, with the LTTE or Tamil Diaspora, is to silence the courageous voices,” the statement said.The statement adds that the questioning of Bishop Rayappu Joseph for long hours is a sign of intimidation to silence the Tamil voice. (Colombo Gazette) read more

Tyson Foods enters definitive agreement to buy Hillshire 2 days after Pinnacle

SPRINGDALE, Ark. – Tyson Foods Inc. has signed a definitive deal to purchase Hillshire Brands Co. for $7.75 billion, two days after the maker of Jimmy Dean sausages and Ball Park hot dogs was let out of its agreement to buy Pinnacle Foods.Chicago-based Hillshire agreed to buy Pinnacle Foods Inc. for $4.23 billion in May. But then Tyson and Pilgrim’s Pride Corp. got into a bidding war for Hillshire, with Hillshire accepting Tyson’s $63 per share offer last month. The deal with Tyson — which is valued by the companies at about $8.55 billion, including debt — was contingent on Hillshire walking away from its deal with Pinnacle.On Monday, Parsippany, New Jersey- based Pinnacle terminated its sale to Hillshire. Pinnacle makes products such as Birds Eye frozen vegetables, Duncan Hines cake mixes and Hungry-Man frozen dinners.Springdale, Arkansas-based Tyson said Wednesday that it will pay the $163 million termination fee to Pinnacle on behalf of Hillshire.Tyson’s acquisition of Hillshire is expected to close by Sept. 27, the last day of Tyson’s fiscal year. AddThis Sharing ButtonsShare to TwitterTwitterShare to FacebookFacebookShare to RedditRedditShare to 電子郵件Email by The Associated Press Posted Jul 2, 2014 6:43 am MDT Tyson Foods enters definitive agreement to buy Hillshire, 2 days after Pinnacle deal nixed read more

UN food relief agency chief welcomes progress on antihunger programmes in northeast

“You can see the tremendous progress achieved in a matter of months,” the Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme (WFP), Ertharin Cousin, said in a news release, issued following a visit to Pompomari camp for the internally displaced people (IDPs) in Damaturu, who fled Boko Haram militants in Yobe and Borno states. “Children who could barely stand just last November are now on the road to recovery. They will continue to require our assistance in the coming months. The work of the international community in Nigeria is not over yet,” she added. By December 2016, an agile response, combining rapid air-and-road interventions, enabled WFP and partners to reach more than a million people in need, particularly in these high risk areas. And while some areas remain inaccessible, organizations are working together to reach as many as 1.8 million vulnerable people in the first quarter of 2017.At Pompomari camp, which hosts some 2,000 IDPs, WFP provides cash assistance in the form of money credited electronically to mobile phones. The spending helps to stimulate local markets. To prevent and treat child malnutrition, children under the age of five receive a highly nutritious, peanut-based supplement, while pregnant and nursing women receive nutritional support.But amid concerns over continued funding, Cousin sounded a note of caution. “The world should not wait for babies to die before taking action,” she warned, appealing to the international community not to prioritize one hungry child over another. read more