DES MOINES — Advocates for the well-being of kids in Iowa are working to boost awareness, as April is Child Abuse Prevention Month.Allie Moerman, is the spokeswoman for Prevent Child Abuse Iowa. Following the starvation deaths of two teen girls in Perry and West Des Moines in recent years, Moerman says the number of child abuse cases being reported to the state has risen. “Without looking at the long-term trends, it’s hard to say what that means,” Moerman says. “We know that those high-profile cases that we saw in 2016 with Sabrina Ray and Natalie Finn does make a difference in the public awareness about child abuse so that often contributes to the increase that we see and report.”Moerman says Iowans can work together to help reduce the number of child abuse cases by getting involved in the activities of children and building stronger connections with the kids in our lives. “Maybe it’s something as simple as volunteering to read to a class of elementary students,” Moerman says. “Maybe it’s reaching out to new parents in your community to bring over a meal or helping them out by running an errand or volunteering to get involved with youth activities just to be a positive influence in the lives of children.”Moerman says the annual Child Abuse Prevention and Family Support Conference will be held in Ankeny next month. “We’ve actually sold out this year,” Moerman says. “We’ve got a full house of support workers and social workers from around the state coming in to learn from nationally-recognized speakers, statewide speakers. It should be a great opportunity to learn and share and network and build those connections throughout our state.”Learn more about child abuse prevention and how you can play a role at www.pcaiowa.org.
Listen to the KGLO Morning News from Friday February 14th
“But you have to be aware that there are no shortcuts to leadership and it is something that is earned slowly, naturally and progressively,” it added.According to Marca, PSG would be willing to stump up the 222 million euros ($256.8 million) required to trigger Neymar’s release clause and would offer him a five-year deal worth 30-plus million euros a season.However, a report in French sports daily L’Equipe on Tuesday quoted a PSG club source as saying: “We’re not going to repeat the Neymar show. There is a huge release clause and you have to be realistic.”PSG have previously been linked with Neymar only for the striker to pen a new five-year deal with Barca last October. Share on: WhatsApp Barcelona, Spain | AFP | Barcelona vice-president Jordi Mestre insisted Tuesday that Brazilian star Neymar will be staying in Spain despite rumours linking him with a move to Paris Saint-Germain.Asked during a press conference if he could confirm Neymar would remain at Barca ahead of the 2017-18 season, Mestre replied: “200 percent”.Reports in Spain have suggested PSG are looking to lure the 25-year-old to the Parc des Princes after snapping up Neymar’s international teammate Dani Alves on a free transfer.“PSG want to finalise the signing of Neymar this summer”, wrote Catalan daily Sport, while the Madrid-based AS newspaper led with the headline “Neymar flirts with PSG”.PSG are reportedly attempting to take advantage of Neymar’s desire to step out of Lionel Messi’s shadow, with the French club prepared to build a team around the Brazil forward.“In the background of Neymar’s annoyance there’s always a concern, which has to do with his role in the team and his wish to become a leader,” wrote Sport.
“But after a big reflection with everybody around me, like my family and my close friends, I (decided I) wanted to stay at Arsenal and I thought the story was not over, (not) finished at Arsenal.“The club bring me a lot and I think I give it back. I still want to improve again and again and win some more trophies for the club, so as I said to the boss our story is not finished, so everybody was pleased with that.”Wenger has always maintained his desire to keep Giroud — who has 99 goals for the club — at Arsenal and was full of praise for the striker on the eve of the Cologne clash.“I have said many times that his contribution has been huge,” he said.“He has had a great evolution here and overall (his) contribution has been tremendous, and I think he has shown a very loyal spirit and has a high respect from everybody inside the club, as well as (from) our fans.”Share on: WhatsApp London, United Kingdom | AFP | Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud admitted on Wednesday that he came close to leaving the club in the close season before deciding to stay because his “story is not over”.The France international has fallen behind club-record signing and compatriot Alexandre Lacazette in the pecking order this season but has come off the bench in all of the Gunners’ games so far this season.Danny Welbeck also appears to be ahead of Giroud in the manager’s thoughts, but the 30-year-old is likely to get a rare chance to impress from the start in Thursday’s Europa League clash with Cologne.Manager Arsene Wenger will make a number of changes as Arsenal play in the competition for the first time in 17 years, with Giroud expected to be one of several alterations.The forward, who scored a late winner in the opening-day Premier League victory against Leicester City, has struggled to hold down a regular first-team place at the Emirates Stadium and admitted he nearly quit over the summer having been linked with the likes of Everton and West Ham United.Asked how close he came to leaving Arsenal, Giroud told reporters at the club’s training base north of London: “Actually that’s a very private decision because it’s true that I was close to leaving the club because I said that I wanted to play.
He headed over the bar in the first-half with his single effort in a performance so poor that he was even booed by home fans for each of his 19 touches.“No player is bigger than our club,” said a banner unfurled by angry Dortmund supporters.Dortmund have reportedly rejected a second bid by Arsenal of 58 million euros ($72m) with the German club thought to be holding out for 70 million euros for their top-scorer.“We know that Aubameyang wants to leave,” said Zorc. “We must not forget that he is already in his fifth year in Dortmund.“We have made it clear that we are ready to realise a transfer when our wishes are completely fulfilled. Arsenal has made several attempts so far and we have rejected them.”Aubameyang has scored 141 goals in 212 games for Dortmund in all competitions since his arrival in 2013.“I cannot say how it will turn out: either our demands are fulfilled or he stays here until the summer,” added Zorc.“This has been communicated to his family and everyone accepts it.”Zorc pointed out Aubameyang was disciplined twice by Dortmund in January — which means he has fallen offside with the club four times in the last 16 months. He was also dropped in late 2017 for coming late to training and also in November 2016 for jetting to Milan just before a Champions League game. Berlin, Germany | AFP | Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang was jeered by his own fans and told he can leave Borussia Dortmund if Arsenal meet the asking price, the German club’s director of sport Michael Zorc confirmed on Saturday.Having been dropped for the last two matches, Aubameyang made his first start for a month in Dortmund’s 2-2 Bundesliga draw at home to Freiburg. “We have to look at things soberly — he had two misconducts in January,” said Zorc.“Once he did not show up at an important team meeting and then did not train well before a game in Berlin, so we sanctioned him.“In the meantime, we have been able to calm the situation. We had talks and now we assume that he is fully focused.”Aubameyang’s father, also his agent, is pushing for the switch to Arsenal to replace Alexis Sanchez, but time is running out with the transfer window to close at midnight (2300 GMT) on Wednesday.Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Burki slammed Dortmund’s fans for booing their own team — especially Aubameyang.“People came to the stadium to whistle their own team — they should stay at home,” fumed Burki.“That is no support — these are people who have no idea about football, they probably have nothing better to do.”Zorc rejected Burki’s comments and said the fans had the right to boo such a poor performance.“I find his statement inappropriate and the content wrong, I recommend our players watch the game for another 90 minutes,” said Zorc.“The spectators have the right to show their displeasure.”Share on: WhatsApp
Share on: WhatsApp It was the 16th consecutive league and cup game in which Guardiola’s side has scored a first half goal, a run dating back to their first league defeat of the season at Chelsea in early December.And in the context of the title race, it may yet prove to be one of the more important although it took until deep into stoppage-time of the second half for City to claim their second.– Title intrigue –Kevin De Bruyne played in Jesus, whose initial run was blocked by Jordan Pickford, only for the ball to sit up kindly for the Brazilian to head into an open goal.That was enough to stretch City’s goal advantage to seven over Liverpool and set up an intriguing weekend, when Klopp’s team must face Bournemouth 24 hours before the leaders host Chelsea on Sunday.“We have started the week well, (beating) Arsenal and here, now comes a big, big test, a big goal,” Guardiola said.“Chelsea are an exceptional team who have had seven days to prepare. We have to prepare well.“It really is a final for us this weekend. If we are able to take these points, it is a huge step forward.”Having survived a test of their nerve at Everton, City have no time to rest on their laurels.But Guardiola insisted he won’t complain about the hectic schedule.“I used to listen to what older managers – Sir Alex Ferguson, Rafa Benitez – what they said and complained about the schedules and nothing happened,” he said.“I arrived here so I understand the situation. If we played just one competition, the schedule would be better but when you have to play four you have to adapt.“So when the Premier League say we have to play there, we take the bus to play at the right time and, at the right moment, we play the game.” FILE PHOTO: Pep Guardiola Liverpool, United Kingdom | AFP | Pep Guardiola insisted Manchester City’s 2-0 victory at Everton proved they are determined to win their title fight with Liverpool as the champions returned to the top of the table on Wednesday.It was a far from inspired performance from City at Goodison Park, but goals from Aymeric Laporte and Gabriel Jesus ensured they knocked Liverpool out of pole position on goal difference.Liverpool had occupied first place since December 8, but now the pressure is on Jurgen Klopp’s side just five weeks after they could have moved 10 points clear of City.With Liverpool showing signs of nerves after two successive draws damaged their bid for a first English title since 1990, City took advantage in a fixture which was brought forward due to their League Cup final date with Chelsea later this month.It was a crucial victory and City manager Guardiola claimed his players have no intention of letting Liverpool off the hook now.“We come from champions and we are in a situation where we could have given up but it didn’t happen,” Guardiola said.“We gave an incredible game against Liverpool. These players have shown incredible desire and performances for the last two years. How could I question them?“We have played one more game. but it’s the best we can do. The reality is one month ago we could have been 10 points behind when we played Liverpool.“A few days ago we could have been seven points behind. Now we are top of the league. That is the best advice, the lesson is – never give up.“That is a lesson for all athletes. Try to win the games, because life can change immediately.”City struck at the best possible time when Laporte headed them in front in the second minute of first half stoppage-time.The opening goal came from a free-kick, needlessly conceded by Idrissa Gueye as he slid in late on Fernandinho, and taken by David Silva.The Spanish midfielder curled in a perfect delivery which found Laporte unmarked, and only eight yards from goal, for a solid finish.
Share on: WhatsApp Europe’s top leagues have all been postponed, while the 2020 European Championship has been put back until next year.Atletico Madrid, Paris Saint-Germain, Atalanta and RB Leipzig are the four teams to have so far booked their places in the Champions League quarter-finals.More financial pain for UEFA and Europe’s major clubs could be on the horizon if the Champions League cannot be completed.Last season UEFA paid out 1.9 billion euros ($2.1 billion) in prize money and TV revenue to clubs competing in the Champions League.Ties from the quarter-finals onwards could be reduced to one-off games rather than two legs, while the semi-finals and finals could come together like a “final four” format often used in basketball.“Without any prejudice, those are also options,” Ceferin said last week.“We have different options, but really it’s far too early to be concrete. Whatever we decide, nothing is sure because we don’t know when this COVID-19 will stop and allow us to play.” Nyon, Switzerland | AFP | UEFA announced on Monday that it has postponed the Champions League, Europa League and women’s Champions League finals, originally scheduled for May, due to the coronavirus pandemic, with no new date given.European football’s governing body had already postponed the competitions until further notice earlier this month.UEFA said that “no decision has yet been made on rearranged dates”.“The working group, established last week as a result of the conference call among the stakeholders of European football, which was chaired by UEFA president, Aleksander Ceferin, will analyse the options available,” UEFA said in a statement.“The group has already begun its examination of the calendar. Announcements will be made in due course.”The 2020 men’s Champions League final had been due to be played at Istanbul’s Ataturk Stadium on May 30, with the Europa League final to have been staged in Polish city Gdansk three days before.The women’s Champions League final was scheduled for May 24 in Vienna.Four of the men’s Champions League last-16 second legs, originally slated for March 17 and 18, were delayed because of the new coronavirus outbreak, along with all of the Europa League last-16 return games.
On Thursday, a Florida judge set an official trial date for the man suspected of killing 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland on Valentine’s Day of 2018.Accused mass murderer Nikolas Cruz will go on trial in January of 2020.According to the order from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer, all pretrial motions will be heard between Jan. 13 through Jan. 24.All motions must be filed on or before Dec. 27, 2019, according to the order.The 21-year-old is charged with 17 counts of premeditated first-degree murder and 17 counts of attempted murder.If convicted, he faces the death penalty.Related content:Prosecutor: Nik Cruz “Worse than Bundy” and Refuses to Reconsider Death Penalty
Police in India are reporting that they have rescued six tourist who were found living in cave as a result of the coronavirus pandemic.The foreign nationals were located earlier this week, almost a month after the country went into a lockdown and prevented several forms of public travel.Officials say, the four men and two women were living in private hotels but decided to move into the cave together when they realized they were running out of money and could not leave the country.According to the report, the foreign nationals are from the US, Ukraine, Turkey, France, and Nepal and all arrived in the area separately last year. and had been living in hotels.The report also noted that the tourist were living in the cave for around 25 days before locals noticed them and contacted authorities:” After receiving the information, we went to the cave and found the six foreigners. They told us that they decided to move into the cave because they were running out of money. We did their medical tests and sent the to a quarantine centre,” Police official Rakendra Singh Kathait told journalist Raju Gusain.At least one of the rescued spoke the local language and was able to secure food for the group with the little money they did have.The tourist have since been sent to a private religious retreat where their accommodations and food have been paid for by the government.
A local woman told deputies that she was interested in child porn and searched for it on her phone, after they arrested her at her Lake Worth home.The Palm Beach County Sheriff’s Office arrested 20-year-old Micaela Garcia on Wednesday on 10 counts of possession of obscene material showing child sexual conduct.Authorities say that Google filed a report last December regarding potential child pornography uploads to Google Photos from a user name and email that investigators ended up tracing to a home where Garcia lived. In all, 28 of the 53 files showed such content.Courtesy: Palm Beach Sheriff’s OfficeAccording to the sheriff’s office report, the woman said she knew what she was doing was wrong when deputies questioned her after serving a search warrant.Investigators explain that some of the images show sexual conduct and abuse of prepubescent children as young as infants.Garcia made her first court appearance Thursday morning. The judge ordered her to stay off the internet, to avoid electronic devices, and to have no contact with minors.